Thursday, September 9, 2010

Heart Breaking

Craig and I have had a get away planned for a few months now. 4 days....3 nights, it's been 2 years since we went away together for more than a night a two. We had told Gillian she would be staying with Grammie and Grampie but we hadn't mentioned to her that we would be leaving town.

We are traveling with a group of people and motorcycles so I will be driving our car and following the bikes so I will be taking people's suit cases and bags. So people have been stopping by our house to drop stuff on and this apparently tipped Gillian off that something was going on.

We made a last time trip into town to get anything necessary, Craig and I were talking and this voice comes from the back seat...."Are you guys going away with Tom?" It was the saddest voice.

Craig and I looked at each other and I knew we both just felt our hearts break because we could tell her heart was broken. We explained to her that we were going away with Tom and a bunch of other adults. And her response,"And I wasn't invited?" Ugh...

We told her sometimes parents just need to get for a few days. That we need a break too just like daycare closes so the kids and staff get a break. And that Grammie and Grampie needed amusement. She seemed okay with this answer and happy to get away.

I started really stressing out because it had been so long since I had left her for any extended amount of time that we were making the wrong decision. I knew it would be good for all of us but I also knew that dropping her off at daycare was going to be hard.

We get in the car this morning to drive to daycare and Gillian immediately notices the change. "I see you've cleaned your car," she says to me. Killing me kid is what I think. I explain that her toys have only been removed until we get back because I didn't want anything to happen to them.

So now I'm prepared to possibly cry after I drop her off. We get inside and I make sure that her daycare provider understands what is going on and who will be dropping off and picking Gillian up. I give Gillian and big hug and kiss and tell her to be good and have fun....and she tells me to have fun. She is such a great kid!

No tears shed on either of our parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment