Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Potty

Back 9 months ago when we started potty training with Gillian I had figured it would take a month at most. Gillian is very smart and loves being referred to as a “big girl” as she grows older. I didn’t realize that my daughter would outsmart me.

We bought the pull-ups, two different potties, and one that went on the floor and one that went on the toilet seat because we were unsure which she would prefer. We took advice from all different people on what worked for them. We bought underwear with all her favorite characters on them. We told her once she conquered the pull up, she would get to wear underwear and she seemed so thrilled with this. We were set and ready to be done with the diaper stage.

So at first she seemed really interested and was using the potty, which made me think it would go quicker obviously 9 months later, it hasn’t been quick. My daughter is sneaky. I can’t say it is all her because Craig and I have not exactly been forcing her but letting her find her own way. We ask her to go potty but we don’t force the issue. But Gillian has figured out that it interrupts her life if she has to stop playing to go potty. So why would she want to stop playing outside or with her dolls to go when she can just go and keep playing until we figure out she went and change her? Sneaky child!

So just like the NICU 3 years ago looked at us and said if they kept her until she stopped alarming they would probably have her till she was 3 years old and let us leave with her on the basis that she was ready and just needed to do it. This past weekend we put her in underwear not really knowing how it was going to go but we know it is what she needs.

It has been interesting and funny. Craig and I ask if she has to go to the bathroom repeatedly. To the point when this is done I’m not sure I will ever want to talk about it again. I never thought I would ever talk about going pee or poop so much. I also never imagined that my daughter telling us she had to go potty in a panic and then going poop would bring on a celebration. It’s funny how I can have a whole conversation with Gillian’s daycare provider & we both carry on the conversation like it is a normal topic.

For me when this is done is going to be a huge milestone. It’s going to be the final sign that Gillian is definitely not a baby anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment